Tuesday 10 June 2008

Estelle retracts Adele, Duffy comments

Estelle has taken back comments she made about two of her contemporaries.

In a recent interview with The Guardian, the 'American Boy' singer criticised the music press for favouring Adele and Duffy over black soul singers.

"How the hell is there not a single black person in the press singing soul?" she was quoted as saying. "Adele ain't soul. She sounds like she heard some Aretha records once, and she's got a deeper voice - that don't mean she's soul."

However, Estelle said she now believes her words were twisted into an attack on white singers.

She explained: "They asked about the genre, and I spoke about the genre - and they took it into a race thing. The interesting thing for me is that they never mentioned that I thought Amy Winehouse is soul.

"I love Duffy, Adele - I don't have any ill feelings. Me and Adele are cool. I have no beefs," she added.



See Also